Wednesday, February 20, 2008

just add an eye patch and a parrot...

My bold plans for the weekend were horribly derailed by...myself. Whee. Two, maybe three songs into the We Drew Lightning set over at High Mayhem my already bothering me knee went out full force and two very kindly friends walked (aka practically carried) me to my car, drove me home and let me pass out.

Good times. So my blogging in the near future will, no doubt, be about all the fine flicks I've watched on DVD. Yup, it's doctors appointments and a bitchin' neoprene knee brace for me for awhile.

Much thanks to my kick ass former coworker here at the Reporter, Nathan Dinsdale for the couch he donated to the office, which is the only way I'm able to get anything done today. Also mad Reporter props go out to staff writers Dave Maass and David Alire-Garcia for hooking me up with internet over here in news land and for bringing me back lunch.

On the plus side of being hurt it's hard to get outside so the cigarette intake has been minimal.

Onto the DVDs. Last night it was The Boxer, a Daniel Day-Lewis/Jim Sheridan flick about a just released from prison boxer/former IRA terrorist. Good stuff. Day-Lewis is amazing, as always. Apparently he spent two years training for the part. Though the movie was nominated for 3 Golden Globes it seems to be pretty under the radar, especially in comparison to Sheridan's other flicks (My Left Foot, In the Name of the Father, In America and, um, the 50 cent movie Get Rich or Die Trying--Sheridan is definitely at his best telling Irish stories).